Spyware and Virus got you down? Well, I mean - got your computer down? Look no further.....
Search For Spyware and Virus Related Help

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I got a call last week. It was a previous client. Problems with an attempted wireless router installation. We set up an appointment for this morning - 10:00 AM. The challenge; to install and configure a wireless router to allow two laptops (with built in wireless) to share a DSL connection. It should have been easy but, it wasn't. As a matter of fact, I had encountered this exact setup before. Verizon DLS with a Westel modem and a Linksys router. The user tried to install the router but got stuck. He called me. After some searching I found the answer. The solution is simple, Verizon uses PPPoE, so this must be configured through the router. (Type 192.168.1.1 into your web browser's address bar and press Enter. Type in your user name and password to log into the router interface. From here you will have to find PPPoE. It's there, so keep looking.) don't forget to enter the user name and password for Verizon under the PPPoE dialog, and turn off the DHCP server.

The task began with a suggestion from my client. She wanted a virus and spyware scan. I downloaded and installed Microsoft AntiSpy as well as AVG AntiVirus ran a scan with both applications and was pleased to say that nothing was found. I examined the startup menu and didn't find anything unusual. Then I began the router setup.

I changed the appropriate router settings, changed the SSID connected the cables, rebooted and followed all other proceedures mentioned in the router's manual (Yes, I actually look at the manuals!). I opened up Internet Explorer and it connected to my client's preset homepage. I turned to the other laptop to see if it could see the wireless connection. The connection singnal strength was reported as "Excellent". My mind began to think about what I would do with my free time since I would be finished much earlier than predicted. I typed www.google.com into the address bar. The Google homepage was displayed. I typed in a search and got results. I clicked on a link from the results page only to find that the link timed out. I opened the command prompt (by going to Start - Run - if you are using Windows XP type "cmd" - without the quotation marks - If you are using Windows ME (I know, Windows ME is almost painful to use.)type "command" - again, without the quotes then press Enter. This will bring up the command prompt.) and typed in used the Ping command to see if the computer was connected to the Internet. Without going on and on, I just have to tell you that the connection was spotty - at best. I checked, double checked and rechecked my double check to make certain that the settings were correct, they were. I changed Ethernet cables. That didn't do anything. I decided to call Verizon to see if there were any other settings that needed to be changed. The support person asked me the standard questions. I explained to her what I had determined thus far. She was stumped. We ruled out the problem being in the modem. When hardwired directly to the modem the Internet connection was fine. Since the router settings were correct that could be ruled out as well. The Verizon support person consulted a higher level support technician. Their answer was to return the router, get a replacement and try again.

Three Hours had passed. The client had decided to return the router and attempt the install again at a later date. I got in my car, opened up all four windows and drove away listening to great music. I wasn't satisfied with the results of my morning appointment but the summer breeze was blowing on my face again. I hope that the problem is solved with a replacment router!

No comments: