Spyware and Virus got you down? Well, I mean - got your computer down? Look no further.....
Search For Spyware and Virus Related Help

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Re: Dell Dimension 2200 - This machine is still sitting in my shop. It was preloaded with Windows XP Home Edition when my client purchased the machine. I called him to see if he could locate the software for it. He seems to think not. I looked through the software he gave me when I first picked up the machine and it's not there. Three days ago I called my client to let him know that I am up against a wall with this one. I have two options, 1) get the original system recovery disk 2) call Dell and order a replacement system recovery disk.

I have worked on several computers over the past week. One was another Dell, this was the 4600 Dimension with Windows Media Center installed. I picked it up after working at my new job Dealer.com on Thursday. My plan was to clean it up that night and return it the following morning. Instead I found out that this particular Dell would not work with any one of three monitors that I have. I joined a chat session with a Dell support person to find out what the deal was. First he told me that there was a problem with the video card. Then I explained to him two things, 1) the machine has onboard video (built into the motherboard) 2) the computer see the clients Dell monitor just fine. The support person insisted that the machine does not have onboard video - I told him that I was starting into the belly of it and indeed, the VGA port was built into the motherboard. What he was talking about was the tv tuner card. Anyway, after finding out that this Dell would only work with a digital monitor I switched my flat panel display to digital and booted the machine. Again, it would not recognize the monitor. The support person from Dell eventually disconnected me from the chat. I guess that's what happens when they can't answer a question.

I returned the computer to the client the following morning and set up the machine with his monitor to get a feel for what the original problem was. He was complaining that his DSL connection was slow. He was correct. I ran an AdAware scan and removed twenty five problems but none of them were critial. Eventually I ran out of time due to a previous commitment. I told him that I would be back after the weekend to give his computer a full "once-over".

I worked on a few other machines but their problems were similar to those you can find in previous posts.

1 comment:

Weight Loss said...

Greetings Michael, you have a pretty cool blog here. I was searching for work from home directory. I just started my home business and you can see it at this link - work from home directory. Your post title caught my eye - Sunday, September 18, 2005. I'm just looking for tips on how to be a better mentor. I know that’s not what you’re going on about in this post but I am trying to expand my vocabulary phrases so I can talk to many different personalities. I mean I have to talk to a lot of people and I need to be able to connect with everyone.

Anyways Michael, this helped. Keep it up, I'll be back.